Fortex: Best Mess of Green Beans Growing
Now that I’ve got you thinking about seed catalogs let me provide you with Tom’s two cents on some of the prizes found on the pages within. Indulge me as I wax on about my favorite pole green bean, a French filet or haricot vert variety called Fortex.
Even with a name that seems better suited to the drug store aisle, Fortex outshines all other beans in my vegetable garden and on my plate. I may plant other varieties, but Fortex is the green bean I eat. Some of the reasons I grow Fortex Green Beans:
- vigorous, productive vines
- I prefer pole beans (trellising required)
- exceptional green bean flavor
- pods are exceptionally long
- completely stringless
- beans are delicious at any size
- freeze well too, if you have any left after the growning season.
I forgot to mention they’re Boz’s favorite green bean as well. (Gracie prefers peas.)