Now that I’ve got you thinking about seed catalogs let me provide you with Tom’s two cents on some of the prizes found on the pages within. Indulge me as I wax on about my favorite pole green bean, a French filet or haricot vert variety called Fortex.
Even with a name that seems better suited to the drug store aisle, Fortex outshines all other beans in my vegetable garden and on my plate. I may plant other varieties, but Fortex is the green bean I eat. Some of the reasons I grow Fortex Green Beans:
- vigorous, productive vines
- I prefer pole beans (trellising required)
- exceptional green bean flavor
- pods are exceptionally long
- completely stringless
- beans are delicious at any size
- freeze well too, if you have any left after the growning season.
I forgot to mention they’re Boz’s favorite green bean as well. (Gracie prefers peas.)