Peach Cake Recipe: moist, flavorful slices of summerMost cooks have a go-to recipe, one that never fails, one that they can make in their sleep, and one that garners rousing boo-yahs from the dinner guests (or at least happy sighs and polite acknowledgements). For me, Teddie’s Apple Cake is a kudo-worthy dessert that never fails to impress on all levels.
Speaking of apples…I, like Sir Issac Newton had an epiphany brought on by falling fruit. Why not adapt the apple cake to another fruit, say a summer version featuring stone fruit. And so the peach cake was born, a dense, flavorful crumb punctuated with crunchy almonds that captures the season and the diner’s need to ask for a second slice.
I discovered the recipe Teddie’s Apple Cake in The New York Times years ago and have been making it ever since. If you’re not good at making cakes, give this one a try; it may mark your return to the land of frosting and batter, though this is truly one cake that stands on its own and does fine without a blanket of icing.
Summer Peach Cake Recipe
Adapted from Jean Hewitt’s, Teddie’s Apple Cake, The New York Times
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups chopped peaches (I don’t peel them.)
- 1 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 1 cup golden raisins (or chopped dried apricots)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch tube (angel food cake) pan
- Beat the oil and sugar together in a mixer for 5 minutes
- Add farm-fresh eggs
- Beat until the mixture is creamy, say 2-3 minutes
- Dry ingredients: Sift together 3 cups of flour, the salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Stir into the batter, mix on low.
- Add the Almond extract, vanilla, peaches and raisins.
- Mix on low briefly (don’t want to mash the peaches)
- Transfer stiff batter to tube pan.
- Bake for 1 – 1.5 hour depending on moisture of peaches (updated 9/21)
- Check with satay stick or toothpick to see if done, make it reaches the middle of the cake pan.
- When stick is clean of batter, remove from oven.
- Cool in the pan, run knife around outside of tube of pan.
- Once cool turn over and plate.
- Invite friends to enjoy with you, or you may likely eat the whole thing.